Wednesday, April 13, 2011

PREPARATION FOR GREATNESS

"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. " - 2 Samuel 22:35

David was a mighty warrior, and God described him as a man after His
own heart. God took David through a training ground that could be looked on
as cruel and unusual punishment by many a person. God chose him at a
young age to be the next king, yet King Saul rejected him and hunted
him down. David was a fugitive for many years. He had uprisings in his own
family, and he had relationship problems. He had a life of extreme ups
and downs. He certainly did not have a life free of problems; he made
mistakes. He was human like all of us, yet he learned from his mistakes
and repented when he failed. This was David's training ground; it made
the man. Without these hardships, it is doubtful David would have
accomplished what he did.
oward the end of David's life, he recounted his relationship with God.
It is a sermon on God's ways of dealing with a servant leader.
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes
my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You
give me Your shield of victory; You stoop down to make me great. You
broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn (2 Samuel
22:33-37).
God was David's source for everything. God gave him the ability to
achieve the many extraordinary things in his life. It was a lifelong
training ground that moved him from one plateau to another, often
dropping into a ravine of despair and hopelessness from time to time.
These are God's ways. They drive us deeper and deeper into the heart of
Him who has prepared a way for us. Let God take you to the heights or
depths He desires for you. He never promised smooth sailing during the
trip, but He did promise to be the captain and companion along the way.

No comments: