Monday, January 24, 2011

LEADERSHIP THAT FREES

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of
them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the
behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your
lives." - 1 Peter 3:1-2

"I am having a real problem with something that I need input from you
guys," said the lady in our fellowship group. "My husband wants to make
a major purchase that I am opposed to. We cannot afford it right now. I
understand what the Bible says about headship in the home, but what do I
do when I totally disagree with his decision?" The men in the group
looked at each other, realizing the sensitive nature of such a question,
especially in today's society.
Then someone said, "You really only have a few options if you adhere to
the principle that God has entrusted the man as the leader in the home.
God has placed you under the umbrella of His protection as well as your
husband. There are times when he will not make the right decision. Does
that mean God is not protecting you? No. There may be several things
working here. God may be testing your own obedience to this principle.
He may use you to open up your husband's spiritual life due to your
obedience and submissive spirit. Your obedience may cost your family
something, but it will be beneficial in the long term. Your alternative
is to rebel and pay him back for his decision by withholding your love
from him, which is often what a wife does in this situation. It becomes
a vicious circle of paybacks. My suggestion is to tell your husband how
you feel about his decision and the impact you feel it will have on you
and your family. If he still wants to make the purchase, you must let
him do it and support him. What happens next will rest in God's hand as
your ultimate protector."
A few weeks later our sister in Christ came to our meeting. "I have some
wonderful news. We did make the purchase. However, we were able to make
it in such a way that we did not go into debt and I was able to support
my husband. I have already seen a change in his attitude toward me by
the way I responded to him in this. It has been a real lesson for me. I
see him much more open to spiritual things since I made this decision
and supported him, even though I disagreed with it."
God has made man and woman equal in His sight. Yet He has given each a
different role to play in marriage. Husbands must answer to God for
their leadership in the home. They will be judged for that leadership.
When a wife submits to that leadership, God protects her from wrong
decisions of that husband, although sometimes it may not appear that way
at first.
You can trust God to protect you in your decisions that are made in
obedience to His Word.
The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it (1 Thessalonians
5:24).

No comments: